Metal Structures 1
BOA008 course is part of 4 study plans
Bc. full-t. program BPC-SI > spK compulsory Summer Semester 3rd year 5 credits
Bc. full-t. program BPC-SI > spS compulsory Winter Semester 3rd year 5 credits
Bc. full-t. program BPA-SI compulsory Winter Semester 3rd year 5 credits
Bc. combi. program BKC-SI compulsory Winter Semester 3rd year 5 credits
Dispositional and structural design and loading in building process of metal-framed structures. Design of industrial buildings. Roof structures (cladding, rafters, purlins, girders, bracing, bearings, optional roof members). Crane girders and material handling systems in industrial buildings. Crane girder design for travelling cranes (rail, main girder, horizontal bracing beam, bumpers). Transmission principles of crane girder braking force into substructure. Bent systems of industrial buildings. Design of web-plate and built-up columns, footing and column anchorage. Spatial rigidity of industrial building systems. Lateral (wind) bracing, bracing systems of buildings with socketed columns only. Exposed and interior walls structure of industrial buildings. Window and portal lintel dimensioning. Production, assembly, maintenance and rebuilding of metal-framed industrial bearing structures.
Student will learn and master basic principles and methods of design of the metal-framed industrial building structures. Further they will learn and manage the design techniques and procedures of the actual load bearing structural systems according to the standardized European documents.
The student will study and gain the ability to handle issues concerned with design of roof structures, dimensioning of crane girders, design of web-plate and built-up columns, spatial rigidity of industrial building systems and column anchorage. The subject lessons include also the problems of the production, assembly, maintenance and rebuilding of metal-framed industrial bearing structures.
In general, the subject content will be focused to the questions of reliability and efficiency of the load bearing structures.
Principles and methods of the design of members and connections of metal structures.
Numerical methods, computer aided design.
Planned educational activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures, practical classes and self-study assignments. Attendance at lectures is optional, but attendance at classes is compulsory.
Forms and criteria of assessment
For the exercise credit: attendance at classes, submission of the requested individual design project of industrial metal-framed building. For the subject exam: exercise credit, successful demonstration of knowledge at exam.
The objective of the subject is to introduce students to the problems of this course and to practise acquires knowledge and skills.
Specification of controlled instruction, the form of instruction, and the form of compensation of the absences
Vymezení kontrolované výuky a způsob jejího provádění stanoví každoročně aktualizovaná vyhláška garanta předmětu.
2 hours/week, 13 weeks, elective
Syllabus of lectures
1. Disposition arrangement and loading.
2. Design of industrial building structures. Composition of roof construction (roof cladding, spars).
3. Simple plate and latticed purlins; jointed, continuous, truss and suspended purlins.
4. Plate and latticed roof girders, roof bracings.
5. Bearings and additional roof structures.
6. Crane runway system in industrial buildings. Crane runways for bridge cranes: loading, rails, a main girder of a crane runway.
7. Design and constructional design of a main girder and a horizontal stiffening girder of a crane runway. Principle of a transmission of a brake force of bridge cranes to the foundations.
8. Systems of industrial building main frames.
9. Design of columns of main frames of factory buildings. Principles of plain and lattice columns design.
10. Base and anchorage systems of columns. Space rigidity of an industrial building system. Cross-wind bracing, bracing of the building with all-stocketed columns.
11. Structure of external and interior walls of an industrial building, design of window and gate lintels. Technology of manufacturing and realization of steel structures. Assembly of steel structures, maintenance, rebuilding and stiffening of steel structures.
2 hours/week, 13 weeks, compulsory
Syllabus of practice
1. Individual assignments of the design of the metal-framed industrial building. Disposition arrangement and loading.
2. Composition of roof construction.
3. Purlins, roof girders, roof bracings.
4. Design and constructional design of a main girder and a horizontal stiffening girder of a crane runway. Principle of a transmission of a brake force of bridge cranes to the foundations.
5. Design of main frame and columns of industrial building.
6. Base and anchorage systems of columns.
7. Space rigidity of the industrial building system and bracings.
8.–11. Elaboration of detailing and drawing documentation.