English Upper-Intermediate 2
VYA011 course is not part of any study plan
Grammar: Gerunds and infinitives, past modals, verbs of the senses, passive voice, reporting verbs, clause of contrast and purpose, articles, uncountable and plural nouns, quantifiers. Vocabulary: music and emotions, body parts, media, towns and cities, accommodation, my future house, science, studying abroad.
Students will extend their language skills and vocabulary and grammar knowledge beyond the level B1 level according to the CEFR (Common European Framework) established by the Council of Europe. The target level is B1+. Students will be able to speak about the following topics: music and emotions, media, towns and cities, accommodation, science, studying abroad. They will also practise the following grammar: gerunds and infinitives, verbs of the senses, past modals, reporting verbs, passive voice, clauses of contrast and purpose, articles, uncountable and plural nouns, quantifiers.
Intermediate knowledge of English, B1 level according to the Common European Framework of Reference.
Planned educational activities and teaching methods
Grammar and vocabulary is practised in an interactive way, with emphasis on conversation. Development of communication and listening skills using interactive audio-visual technologies, LMS Moodle and Smartboard.
Forms and criteria of assessment
In order to receive their credits, students have to attend classes regularly (max. 3 absences per semester), do homework, and actively participate in lessons.
Students will extend their language skills and vocabulary and grammar knowledge beyond the level of the Cambridge PET exam or B1 level of the CEFR (Common European Framework) established by the Council of Europe. This course follows the BYA7 course.
Specification of controlled instruction, the form of instruction, and the form of compensation of the absences
Vymezení kontrolované výuky a způsob jejího provádění stanoví každoročně aktualizovaná vyhláška garanta předmětu.
2 hours/week, 13 weeks, compulsory
Syllabus of practice
1. Music and emotions 1; gerunds and infinitives 1
2. Music and emotions 2; gerunds and infinitives 2
3. Arguments; past modal verbs
4. Crime and punishment 1; the passive 1
5. Crime and punishment 2; the passive 2
6. Cultural differences and relations with fellow students; Erasmus mobility plan and learning agreement
7. The media; reporting verbs
8. Advertising and business; clauses of contrast and purpose
9. City vocabulary; uncountable and plural nouns
10. Student accommodation; my future house; the urban context of the place where I live
11. Science; quantifiers
12. Articles; collocations
13. Revision, credit test