Selected Chapters of Hydrotechnics
NRA013 course is part of 1 study plan
Ing. full-t. program NPC-SIV compulsory Winter Semester 1st year 5 credits
Design and assessment of safety and stability of weirs, dams and objects related to usage of hydropower. Sediment load motion and stability of stream bank sides. Weir gates construction. Design parameters of water turbines of water power plant working in different operation regimes. Hydraulic solution and research of devices of WPP and navigation canals. Loading, calculation of object local and overall safety. New constructional solution, reconstructions, modernizations and intensification hydro technical objects utilization.
The result is more detailed knowledge of problems of hydrotechnical structures, which follows the information of bachelor study program of Civil engineering.
Courses related to water management - hydraulics, hydrology, structure foundation, earth mechanics, hydrotechnical structures, realization of structures
Numerical methods, flood protection
Planned educational activities and teaching methods
The course is taught through lectures, practical classes and self-study assignments. Attendance at lectures is optional, but attendance at classes is compulsory.
Forms and criteria of assessment
Exam: written test - 13 questions, Length: 90 minut.
Evaluatiuon: Individual questions evaluated by marks 1, 2, 3, 4.
13 – 17 A/1
18 – 21 B/1,5
22 – 28 C/2
29 – 35 D/2,5
36 – 43 E/3
od 44 F/4
In case of 5 or more questions evaluated worse than „4“ - final evaluation - F/4 – failed.
Studends gain more detailed knowledge of problems of hydrotechnical structures, which follows the information of bachelor study program of Civil engineeering.
Specification of controlled instruction, the form of instruction, and the form of compensation of the absences
Vymezení kontrolované výuky a způsob jejího provádění stanoví každoročně aktualizovaná vyhláška garanta předmětu.
2 hours/week, 13 weeks, elective
Syllabus of lectures
1.–3. Assessment of stability of weirs and dams and their underlay.
4.–6. Determination of design parameters of water power plant turbines. Hydraulic research and solution of individual functional elements of WPP.
7.–8. Sediment load motion and stability of stream bank sides.
9.–10. Design and calculation of gates of movable weirs.
11. Environmental project of structure, continuity and relationships of design and natural conditions - legislation. New program products for design of hydro technical structures.
12. Downflow baffles for oil products interception and measurements of discharges and volumes on streams and sewer systems.
13. Risks in water management, their determination and evaluation, influence on technical solution and economy of structure.
2 hours/week, 13 weeks, compulsory
Syllabus of practice
1. River bed stabilization, boulder chutes.
2. Design of boulder chute, calculus.
3. Design of boulder chute, drawings.
4. Wave runup on upstream face of the dam, freeboard.
5. Concrete dams, global stability.
6. Embankment dams, global stability.
7. Embankment dams, breaching due to overtopping.
8. Theoretical background for bottom outlet hydraulics.
9. Hydraulic calculation of bottom outlet, emptying of the reservoir.
10. The calculation of forces acting on the gate of bottom outlet.
11. Design of weir movable gate.
12. Hydrotechnical calculation of weir rating curve.
13. Hydrotechnical calculation of weir rating curve at manipulation with gates.