Concrete Structures 1
BLA002 course is part of 3 study plans
Bc. full-t. program BPC-SI > spS compulsory Summer Semester 3rd year 4 credits
Bc. full-t. program BPA-SI compulsory Summer Semester 3rd year 4 credits
Bc. combi. program BKC-SI compulsory Summer Semester 3rd year 4 credits
Reinforced concrete monolithic structures – one- and multi-storey frame structures and their structural elements. Design principles of cast-in-place foundation structures – wall footing, strip, grid and mat foundation. Dimensioning reinforced concrete members considering theirs limit serviceability. Two-ways slabs – edge supported. Circular and annular slabs. Two-way ribbed and cassette slabs. Wall beams – simple and continuous. Construction and expansion joints in concrete structures. Realisation and control of concrete structures.
A student gains these knowledge and skills:
Knowledge of the principles of static solution of concrete structures of building construction and civil engineering. Ability to verify outputs from PC and related modern software by usage of simple techniques. Understanding to the behaviour of flat concrete structures. Knowledge of designing framed reinforced concrete structures. Knowledge of designing simple foundation structures. Designing slab and wall concrete structures.
technical mathematics, technical physics, structural mechanics, theory of elasticity, loads, design of concrete members, foundation of buildings, static analysis of load-bearing structures using a computer
do not required
Planned educational activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations. Education runs in the forms of lectures and trainings. Character of the lectures is based on definition of basic principles, problems and methodology. In the trainings the main subject matters are trained on individually defined projects (examples).
Forms and criteria of assessment
To gain the credit, the students should elaborate individually defined design and calculate specified task. The students are obliged to consult the design continuously in the given terms and submit it to the fixed date. The presences in training lessons are checked and mandatory. An exam consists both of the written part, in which the task is elaborated, and the theoretical part. To pass the exam successfully, both parts should be accomplished.
To teach the students to design reinforced framed concrete structures and simple foundation structures.
Understanding of the behaviour of flat concrete structure. Design of stab and wall concrete structures.
Specification of controlled instruction, the form of instruction, and the form of compensation of the absences
Vymezení kontrolované výuky a způsob jejího provádění stanoví každoročně aktualizovaná vyhláška garanta předmětu.
2 hours/week, 13 weeks, elective
Syllabus of lectures
1. Multi-storey frame structures – system arrangement, loading, design, space stiffness – bracing.
2. Multi-storey frame structures – structural analysis, reduction and redistribution of internal forces.
3. Multi-storey frame structures – reinforcement detailing, constructive principles.
4.–5. Serviceability of reinforced concrete structures – stress limitation, cracks control, deflection control.
6.–7. Principles of design of cast in place foundation structures – reinforced and plain concrete footing, continuous footings and grids.
8. Single-storey frame structures – pointed and arched girder, corbels.
9. Two-way edge supported slabs – structural arrangement, structural analysis, reinforcement.
10. Continuous two-way slabs – principle of solution, reinforcement detailing. Slabs partially edge supported.
11. Serviceability of two-way slabs. Slabs of common shape.
12. Circular and annular slabs. Waffle slabs.
13. Simple supported and continuous deep girders. Work joints and expansion gaps in structures. Manufacturing and control of structures.
2 hours/week, 13 weeks, compulsory
Syllabus of practice
1. Cast-in-place RC framed structure – preliminary design of dimensions, scheme of shape of structure, load, loading states for internal frame.
2. Calculation of internal forces of the frame.
3. Calculation of internal forces of the frame – continuation, combination of loads.
4. Dimensioning of cross beam for bend and shear (stirrups, eventually also bends).
5. Curtailment of reinforcement of cross beam. Checking.
6. Dimensioning of one internal column.
7. Structural solution and dimensioning of single footing below internal column.
8. Drawings of reinforcement of the cross beam, single footing and column. Checking.
9. Serviceability limit states – deformation, cracks.
10. Two-way slab – preliminary design, load, internal forces, dimensioning – design of reinforcement.
11. Rebar or netting reinforcing.
12. Final checking.
13. Project submission. Credit.