Members of Concrete Structures
BLA001 course is part of 4 study plans
Bc. full-t. program BPC-SI > spVS compulsory Summer Semester 2nd year 5 credits
Bc. full-t. program BPC-MI compulsory Summer Semester 2nd year 5 credits
Bc. full-t. program BPA-SI compulsory Summer Semester 2nd year 5 credits
Bc. combi. program BKC-SI compulsory Summer Semester 2nd year 5 credits
Concrete members. Structural characteristic of concrete. Concrete reinforcement and its bond with concrete. Basic principles of design. Durability of concrete structures. Design of reinforced concrete members for bending and shear force - ultimate and serviceability limit states, detailing. Design of reinforced concrete members for axial force and bending moment. Principles of concrete members design subject to other effect of the load. Design of members from plain and lightly reinforced concrete. Simple concrete members – one way reinforced slabs, beams, girders, lintels, cantilevered structures, columns and stairs.
A student acquires the following knowledge and skills:
- understanding of the behaviour of concrete members subject to various load,
- knowledge of the fundamental principles of reinforced concrete cross-section design within bending, shear and axial force,
- knowledge of the fundamental rules of reinforcing of individual members and simple structures,
- carrying out of technical drawings of reinforced concrete members.
technical mathematics, technical physics, structural mechanics, theory of elasticity, loads, basic principles of structures design
Planned educational activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations. Education runs in the forms of lectures and trainings. Character of the lectures is based on definition of basic principles, rules and methodology. The main subject matters are trained on individually defined projects (examples) during the practices.
Forms and criteria of assessment
The students should elaborate individually defined design and calculate specified task to gain the credit. The students are obliged to consult the design continuously in the given terms and submit it to the fixed date. The student presence in training lessons is checked and mandatory. An exam is held in written form and consists both of the practical part, in which the task is elaborated, and the theoretical part. Both parts should be accomplished to pass the exam.
To teach the students to the principles of reinforced concrete cross-section dimensioning at the principal stresses.
To gain ability for design of reinforced concrete members and simple structures together with preparing relevant technical drawings.
Specification of controlled instruction, the form of instruction, and the form of compensation of the absences
Vymezení kontrolované výuky a způsob jejího provádění stanoví každoročně aktualizovaná vyhláška garanta předmětu.
2 hours/week, 12 weeks, elective
Syllabus of lectures
1. Concrete members. Components of concrete. Structural properties of concrete and influencing factors.
2. Types of concrete and reinforcement, their interaction. Theory of concrete structures design – load, structural requirements, design assumptions, durability. Ultimate limit states – principle of design.
3. Analysis of reinforced concrete bending members. Design of cross-sections for bending – general and simplified method.
4. Design of cross-sections for bending – rectangular sections, general sections, sections subject to biaxial bending moment .
5.–6. Design of cross-sections for shearing force.
7. Curtailment of reinforcement in beam – detailing and arrangements. Reinforcement of bended structural members.
8. Principles of design and reinforcement of stairs.
9.–10. Design of sections subjected to axial load and bending.
11. Design of sections for torsion moment. Design of members from plain and lightly reinforced concrete.
12. Verification of serviceability limit state of flexural members. Time-dependent properties of concrete.
2 hours/week, 12 weeks, compulsory
Syllabus of practice
1. The load and its determination, combination and effects. Idealisation of basic structural members. Design of monolithic reinforced concrete structure – project: Definition of task, preliminary design of dimensions, analysis of structural solution and static system, scheme of shape of structure.
2. Basic materials of reinforced concrete, interaction of concrete and reinforcement, durability of concrete members.
3. Bended members, design and review of the slabs: single supported floor slab – load, action of load and combinations, design for bending and shear, transverse reinforcement, anchorage of reinforcement, modification of reinforcement in the areas of partial fixation, scheme of reinforcement.
4. Design and review of slabs: continuous floor slab – load, action of forces (redistribution of forces) and combinations, design for bending, scheme of reinforcement.
5. Design and review of beam with the T cross-section - load, action and combination, design for bending (T-section, comparison with rectangular cross-section).
6. Member of general cross-section subject to bending – general method, application on cantilever beam (example).
8. Beam with the T cross-section – design for shear, shear between web and flanges of T cross-section, curtailment of reinforcement.
9. Design and review of a lintel - load, action and comcination, design for bendding, shear, direct and indirect supporting of beam, scheme of reinforcement. Reinforcement of ring beams. Drawings of reinforcement of designed members.
10. Vertical framed concrete structures: RC column subjected to bending and axial force – load, action of load, verification of load-bearing capacity via interactive diagram (example).
12. Submit of the project. Credit.