Testing and Technology
BIA002 course is part of 3 study plans
Bc. full-t. program BPC-SI > spVS compulsory Winter Semester 2nd year 5 credits
Bc. full-t. program BPA-SI compulsory Winter Semester 2nd year 5 credits
Bc. combi. program BKC-SI compulsory Winter Semester 2nd year 5 credits
The content of the subject is divided into two specialized sections: 1) Testing in civil engineering and 2) Technology of concrete and silicate production. Ad 1) Requirements for building materials according to the EU directive on building products and the system of tests of materials, segments and constructions. Division of tests into certificate tests and checking tests, destructive and non-destructive. Regression relations and statistic evaluation of results. Essentials of non-destructive testing methods and their application in laboratories (electro-acoustic, magnetic and hardness non-destructive measurement methods). Radiometric methods of the detection of reinforcement location, volume mass and moisture of bulk materials and radon in buildings. Ad 2) Technology of concrete production. Types and components of concrete. Fresh concrete processing, concrete hardening and curing. Basic findings about production and usage of silicate products.
Students completing the course will acquire the following professional knowledge and skills:
Building silicates, tests on raw and adapted materials.
Burning of silicate body, tests performed on the burned silicate body.
Design of concrete composition, requirements on the aggregate for concrete. Manufacture of concrete with prescribed specification, testing of fresh concrete properties.
Quality control of concrete, compaction control with ultrasound, determination of the hardness and strength of concrete. Compliance check.
Determination of the volume activity of radon in the building. Determination of radon index.
Radiometric determination of volume mass and moisture content of building materials. Determination of volume mass of the material in the configuration of a narrow beam.
Tensometric measurement of stress of the material of construction - bending stress on the console, the normal stress in a tensile test, thermal expansion.
Determination of the dynamic modulus of elasticity with ultrasonic pulse method. Determination of the dynamic characteristics of the material with resonance method.
Static modulus of elasticity of concrete in compression. Modulus of elasticity and modulus of deformation of concrete derived from tensile test in bending.
Load test of a bridge model - preparation, implementation and evaluation of load tests, assessment of the construction of bridge model.
Plane geometry, stereometry, goniometric functions, units of physical quantities and their transfers, the fundamental laws of physics, mechanics of bodies
Statics of rigid bodies, elasticity theory of rigid bodies, Hookes law, the effects of static and dynamic loading, deformation of body
Planned educational activities and teaching methods
The educational activity is provided by means of lectures and laboratory practice. Lectures cover the explanation of basic principles, methodology of the discipline, problems and their solutions. Laboratory practice supports the practical mastery of the subject matter presented in the lectures with the active participation of students.
Forms and criteria of assessment
The study results are checked by continuous monitoring during the course, by a credit and examination. The credit requirements include active participation in all laboratory exercises, correctly processed logs in the exercise book and passing the final test. The exam tests the comprehensive command of the material presented in lectures and the ability to apply the acquired knowledge independently and creatively. The teacher assesses the extent of knowledge of the material in the form of ECTS mar
Acquainting with physical principles of destructive and non–destructive testing principles, determination of the possibilities of particular testing methods within building structures surveys, the ability of practice realizing of particular testing methods. Principles within design and produce of fresh concrete, concrete types and its testing, properties and possibilities of ceramic products using.
Specification of controlled instruction, the form of instruction, and the form of compensation of the absences
Vymezení kontrolované výuky a způsob jejího provádění stanoví každoročně aktualizovaná vyhláška garanta předmětu.
2 hours/week, 13 weeks, elective
Syllabus of lectures
1. Division of concrete types. Concrete components. Concrete composition, methods of calculation.
2. Rheology of fresh concrete. Processing of fresh concrete, formwork system and molds. Compaction of fresh concrete.
3. Hardening of concrete, accelerated hardening of concrete, concreting in winter, curing of concrete.
4. Mechanical properties of concrete, deformational characteristics, water tightness, permeability. Durability of concrete.
5. General and theoretical principles of silicate production.
6. Introduction - overview of testing methods.
7. Measurement of selected properties of building materials.
9. Electroacoustic methods.
10. Dynamic and static moduli of elasticity of concrete.
11. Load tests.
13. Radiometry in building construction.
2 hours/week, 13 weeks, compulsory
Syllabus of practice
1. Introductory laboratory practice.
2. Design of concrete composition.
3. Manufacture of concrete according to prescribed composition.
4. Tests on raw and adapted materials.
5. Tests on burned silicate fragments.
6. Quality control of concrete.
7. Tensometric measurement of stress of the material of construction.
8. Dynamic moduli of elasticity.
9. Static moduli of concrete.
10. Study load test of a bridge model.
11. Determination of radon content.
12. Radiometric determination of volume mass and moisture.
13. Final summary, credit.