Prestressed Engineering Construction
Academic Year 2023/24
NLA031 course is part of 1 study plan
NPC-SIR Winter Semester 1st year
Design and construction of prestressed concrete structural members and structural systems, analysis and detailing.
• Understanding of the behaviour of prestressed concrete structures.
• Design and construction of prestressed concrete structural members and structural systems, analysis and detailing.
2. Prestressing technology, basic terminology. Pre- and post-tensioning prestressed concrete, prestressing systems.
3.–4. Prestressing and its changes. Effects of prestressing on concrete members and structures. Equivalent load method. Design of prestressing using the load balancing method. Influence of the construction metod on design of prestressed structures.
5. General principles of prestress members dimensioning. Ultimate limit state (ULS) of prestressed members loaded by axial force and bending moment, decompression state, initial stress-state of the cross-section. Prestressed members loaded in shear and torsion, stress analysis, proportioning.
6. Analysis of the anchorage zone - stress, calculation model, check of resistance, reinforcement. Serviceability limit states (SLS). Limitation of stress, crack resistence, calculation of crack width. Control of deflection.
7.–8. Design and realisation of selected prestressed structures of building and engineering constructions.
9. Application of prestressing on masonry structures – structural modifications, principles of structural solution and dimensioning.
10. Strengthening of masonry structures by prestressing – methods of strengthening, realisation, structural analysis.
11. Design and construction of general types of slabs and girder bridges.
12. Problems of design and construction of bridges built on the stationary and launch scaffolding, cantilever bridges, incrementally launched bridges.
13. Problems of design and construction of precast girder and segmental bridges.
Language of instruction
Forms and criteria of assessment
Specification of controlled instruction, the form of instruction, and the form of compensation of the absences
Offered to foreign students
Course on BUT site
13 weeks, 2 hours/week, elective
13 weeks, 1 hours/week, compulsory