CR056 course is part of 1 study plan
Ing. full-t. program nC > V compulsory-elective Winter Semester 2nd year 5 credits
1. Catastrophic flood events of recent years – up to date methods of flood protection. 2. Extent and level flood protection in relation to potential damages and losses – economic (urban areas, agricultural areas, industry) and uneconomic (health and lifes of people and animals, ecologic). 3. Factors influencing number and extent of floods and flood damages. 4. Risk analysis (RA) of floodplains.
The knowledge in flood protection and isuues at the flood protection measures design. The flood protection is assessed from the view of water management and flow hydrodynamics, environmetal and societal views. Students will learn basics of floodplain risk analysis.
Hydraulics, hydrology, river engineering, weirs, fluvial numerical modelling, GIS
Groundwater hydraulice, hydroinformatics
Planned educational activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations. Teaching involves the use of e-learning (LMS Moodle). Part of the course is also the completion of the term project.
Forms and criteria of assessment
Successful completion of the course requires the following conditions: 100% presence, exceptionally 2 seminars - apologized, for exam the credit is necessary (term project completion), for positive evaluation at least partial knowledge in each question
The aim is to establish the framework of flood protection and isuues at the flood protection measures. The flood protection is assessed from the view of water management and flow hydrodynamics, environmetal and societal views. Students will learn basics of floodplain risk analysis.
Specification of controlled instruction, the form of instruction, and the form of compensation of the absences
Vymezení kontrolované výuky a způsob jejího provádění stanoví každoročně aktualizovaná vyhláška garanta předmětu.
2 hours/week, 13 weeks, elective
Syllabus of lectures
1. Flood types, their generation, hydrologic measurements, historical floods
2. Identification of flood hazards (determination of potentially endangered areas and possible scenarios of flood course)
3. Simulation of flood scenarios (rainfall runoff models, modelling flood plain water flow and ground water flow), runoff conditions study
4. Flooding affected by water structures (operating regulation, actualisation of flood protection measures), hydraulic structures safety during flooding
5. Flood plain risk and its evaluation (vulnerability, exposition, risk, evaluation methods)
6. Assessment of potentially flooded areas (according water law, classification according town planning scheme)
7. Uncertainties and their effect on the level of flood protection
8. Flood plain damage determination, flood risk quantification.
9. Groundwater regimes changes during flood events.
10. Types of flood protection and their design
2 hours/week, 13 weeks, compulsory
Syllabus of practice
1. - 2. Flood hazard maps
3. - 4. Flood danger and risk maps
5. - 6. Flood losses estimation
7. - 9. esign of flood protection measures
10. Cost benefit analysis