River Training and Weirs
Academic Year 2023/24
BR006 course is part of 2 study plans
B-P-C-MI (N) / MI Summer Semester 3rd year
B-P-C-SI (N) / V Summer Semester 3rd year
2. Conceptual solution of river training – natural building of channel – purpose of channel reconstruction, design discharge determination, design of the course, the term eco-biological reconstruction, revitalization.
3. Design of river regulation – longitudinal bed slope, design and assessment of cross section, types of flow – computational methods, steady, continuously changing unsteady flow.
4. Bank stability analysis – stability of channel banks and slopes, their determination in straight and curved reach, shear stress, river channel deformation, sediment motion, drag force, critical shear stress.
5. Lining structures in channels – protection of bed and heel of the slope, methods of bank slope stabilization, technical, bio-technical and biological lining components. . Levees – their construction, objects – drops, boulder chute.
6. Streamside trees and shrubs – vegetation on banks, space and type composition of riparian forest, design of riparian zones, work with multicriterial design table of broadleaves, assessment of existing state of riparian forest.
7. Purpose and character of weirs – basic terms, weir types, ground area setting, design discharge, overfall curve.
8. Uncontrolled weir – structure of uncontrolled weir, types of uncontrolled weirs, founding, weir pillars, training walls.
9. Stilling basin – design of stilling basin, baffles and rectifiers of flow, bed protection and lining downstream the weir.
10. Safety and stability of weirs – forces effecting weirs, weir stability analysis.
11. Movable weirs - types of movable weirs, hydrostatic weirs and inflatable weir, flashboard of weirs, walkway.
12. European navigation – importance of navigation, lock canal Dunaj-Odra-Labe, navigation devices, course, longitudinal and cross sectional profile of lock canal, banks stability.
Language of instruction
Forms and criteria of assessment
Specification of controlled instruction, the form of instruction, and the form of compensation of the absences
Offered to foreign students
Course on BUT site
13 weeks, 2 hours/week, elective
13 weeks, 2 hours/week, compulsory