Concrete bridges 1
Academic Year 2023/24
BL012 course is part of 1 study plan
B-P-C-SI (N) / K Summer Semester 4th year
Stone bridges, brick bridges. Bridges from plain concrete. Culverts. Slab bridges - skew, tapered and curved decks. Integral bridges. Slab bridges assembled from precast members. Principles of general types of girder bridges design.
Bridge accessories. Expansion joints, bearings and equipment. Substructure bridges, construction work behind abutment.
To learn designing of essential types of concrete slab and framed bridges.
To gain knowledge and skill in designing of bridge accessories.
• Knowledge of basic principles of design of bridges.
• Virtue for designing essential types of concrete slab and framed bridges.
• Knowledge and skill in designing bridge accessories.
2. Loads. Materials for bridges construction and their properties. Specifications for design of bridges and load-bearing structures.
3. Stone, masonry and plain concrete bridges. Culverts – types, loading, dimensioning.
4. Slab bridges – structural arrangement, static action.
5. Vertical, skew and irregular slabs. Accurate and approximate methods of slab calculation. Expansion action.
6. Slabs from prestressed concrete assembled from precast members – reinforcement, prestressing, calculation methods.
7. Principles of general types of cast in place girder bridges design.
8. Principles of design of general types of girder bridges from precast members.
9. Accessories of road and railway bridges. Waterproofing. Pavements and cornices. Railings and safety barriers.
10. Expansion joinst. Drainage. Steel, concrete, elastomer and combined bearings.
11. Substructure – abutments, wing walls and intermediate supports. Waterproofing and wearing surface. Support threshold. Construction work behind abutment.
Language of instruction
Forms and criteria of assessment
Specification of controlled instruction, the form of instruction, and the form of compensation of the absences
Offered to foreign students
Course on BUT site
13 weeks, 2 hours/week, elective
13 weeks, 2 hours/week, compulsory