Acoustics and Daylighting (EVB)
Academic Year 2023/24
BHA027 course is part of 1 study plan
BPC-EVB Winter Semester 3rd year
The course is based on basic knowledge of building design. It focuses on building acoustics and daylighting. The course introduces fundamental physical principles in both fields.
Fundamentals in room acoustics, determination of air-borne and impact sound insulation index for building constructions, design of rooms and their interiors with respect to the reverberation time. Determination of requirements for indoor acoustic comfort and design of building protection against exterior noise.
Methods for the evaluation of visual comfort in buildings, daylighting and insolation of buildings.
Reports of building acoustics and daylighting and insolation tasks.
Tasks from reports will be applicable in study projects.
1. Acoustics: Sound waves, sound field. Acoustics and physiology, basic notions, sound levels and loudness.
2. Acoustics: Sound measurement, frequency band, frequency band analysis, noise report, hygienic limits.
3. Acoustics: Urban acoustics, noise attenuation.
4. Acoustics: Room acoustics, diffuse sound field, sound field.
5. Acoustics: Absorptive constructions, membranes and oscillating plates, Helmholtz resonators.
6. Acoustics: Sound insulation, rating of air-born and structure-born sound insulation.
7. Acoustics: Air-born sound insulation, Watter’s method.
8. Acoustics: Impact sound insulation in building constructions.
9. Daylighting: Solar radiation, insolation, requirements for insolation.
10. Daylighting: Light and photometry. Methods for evaluation of daylighting in buildings, Daniljuk’s nomograms.
11. Daylighting: Waldram’s diagram, BRS nomograms, average daylight factor.
12. Daylighting: Daylighting simulation software.
13. Daylighting: Summary, importance of acoustics, daylighting and insolation for the building design.
Fundamentals in building design and building physics - acoustics and optics.
Language of instruction
Forms and criteria of assessment
Specification of controlled instruction, the form of instruction, and the form of compensation of the absences
Offered to foreign students
Course on BUT site
13 weeks, 2 hours/week, elective
13 weeks, 2 hours/week, compulsory