Building Constructions 2 (M)
Academic Year 2023/24
BHA018 course is part of 1 study plan
BPC-SI / M Winter Semester 4th year
2. Overhanging and recessed structures – balcony, loggia, portico, oriel windows and cornices – material solutions, mechanical requirements, thermal design.
3. Groundworks and excavations. Founding soil. Construction and hydrogeological survey.
4. Shallow and deep foundation – Foundation types, material, and structural solutions. Foundation construction on property boundaries.
5. Substructure. Damp proofing – design of damp proof systems. Protection against radon gas infiltration.
6. Expansion joints, settlement joints and construction joints in load bearing and non-loadbearing structures.
7. Roofs – classification of roofs. Pitched roofs / Traditional truss solutions – classification, structural solutions. Contemporary solutions. Roof compositions above attic spaces.
8. Roofs – Warm flat roofs – design principles, dewatering solutions, compositions of warm flat roof variants, and materials.
9. Roofs – Cold flat roofs – design principles, dewatering solutions, materials, roofing, ventilation of the air cavity.
10. Chimneys and ventilation shafts – design principles, structural requirements, types, and solutions.
11. Windows, doors, gates. Variants and material solutions, technological and installation procedure.
12. Floor – functional requirements, the function of layers, materials, thermal expansion.
13. Soffit / Lower ceiling – functional requirements, structural and design principles, types of lower ceilings. Finishes – plaster, paints, coats, frescos, tiles.
Language of instruction
Forms and criteria of assessment
Specification of controlled instruction, the form of instruction, and the form of compensation of the absences
Offered to foreign students
Course on BUT site
13 weeks, 2 hours/week, elective
13 weeks, 2 hours/week, compulsory