Structural Analysis 2
BDA007 course is part of 4 study plans
Bc. full-t. program BPC-SI > spK compulsory Winter Semester 3rd year 4 credits
Bc. full-t. program BPC-SI > spS compulsory Winter Semester 3rd year 4 credits
Bc. full-t. program BPA-SI compulsory Winter Semester 3rd year 4 credits
Bc. combi. program BKC-SI compulsory Winter Semester 3rd year 4 credits
Principle of deflection methods and its variant. Calculation model and degree of kinematic indeterminacy. Deflection method for planar structures. Analysis of straight bar with variable cross-section. Local values, primary vector and stiffness matrix. Bar connected by joints, cantilever. Bar with constant cross-section. Geometric transformation, global matrix of bar. Analysis of bar systems, compilation of equations, localization. Determination of ended forces and diagram of components of internal forces at bars. Determination of reactions and controlling of solution. Another variants for building equations up. Solution of rectangular frames and continuous girders. Temperature influences, shift of supports. Truss girder is solved by deflection method. Bar with variable cross-section with height linear ramping, determination of deflection coefficient. Solution of spatial frames using deflection method. Calculation model for simplified deflection method.
The student will learn to solve elementary statically indeterminate frame structures using deflection method. In this course there will be solved planar continuous girder, planar frame and statically indeterminate truss girder, influence of temperature changes and shift of supports. The student will learn basic work with computer program RFEM and SCIA.
Static analysis of planar statically determinate truss systems, straight and cranked girders. Principle of virtual work and theorem of virtual work reciprocity and calculation of deflection of frame systems by using method of unit forces. Solution of planar frame structures using force method.
Application of integral number. Solution of linear differential equations.
Planned educational activities and teaching methods
Teaching is divided into lectures and practice lessons. Teaching is completed by individual consultations. Individual work, which is given within the course, is a part of studying activity of each student. Participation of student on lectures is recommended. Participation of student on practice lessons is required and checked. Methods of teaching depend on way of teaching and these method are written in the article 7 – Studying and Examination rules for BUT.
Forms and criteria of assessment
Subject is finished by getting credits and passing examination. There are some control tests which are written during the semester in practice lessons. To get credit it is necessary to pass all tests during semester in practice lessons. To be able to do examination it is necessary to get credit. The examination consists of written and oral part. Written part is divided into (include) numerical and theoretic part. To get to the oral part it is necessary to be successful in numerical part.
Introduction to the stiffness Method for analysis of the statically indeterminate of planar bar systems. Simplification to the stiffness method and deflection method for analysis of planar bar systems, plane trusses. Influence of the beam haunch.
Specification of controlled instruction, the form of instruction, and the form of compensation of the absences
Vymezení kontrolované výuky a způsob jejího provádění stanoví každoročně aktualizovaná vyhláška garanta předmětu.
2 hours/week, 13 weeks, elective
Syllabus of lectures
1. Introduction, content and outline of the subject. Meaning of deflection method, creation and development of this method, variants of deflection method. Calculation model and degree of kinematic indeterminacy.
2. General deflection method for planar frame structures. Equilibrium of conditions, parameters of deflection, bounded nodes. Scalar and matrix form.
3. Analysis of straight bar with variable cross-section: primary and secondary state.
4. Local values, primary vector and the stiffness matrix. Bar connected by joints, cantilever.
5. Bar with constant cross-section. Geometric transformation, global matrix of bar.
6. Analysis of the frame system, compilation of the system of equations, code number and localization.
7. Completion of solution of bars – calculation of internal forces and deflection at bars. Determination of reactions and controlling of the solution. Errors during the solution of frames by using deflection method. Another variant for assembly of equations.
8. Speciality of solution of rectangular frames and continuous girders. Temperature influences, shift of supports.
9. Truss girder is solved by using deflection method.
10. Bar with variable cross-section, height linear ramping, determination of deflection coefficients (analytic solution, numerical integration)
11. Solution of spatial frames solved by general deflection method.
12. Calculation model for simplified deflection method in scalar form.
13. End moments, internal forces. Joint and storey equation.
2 hours/week, 13 weeks, compulsory
Syllabus of practice
1. Revision of solution of elementary statically indeterminate systems using deflection method. Diagrams of internal forces. Analysis of statically and kinematic determinacy of frame systems.
2. Calculation models of frame structures for deflection method, analysis of kinematic indeterminacy. Solution of cranked statically determinate girder with forces loading using general deflection method.
3. Completion of solution of cranked statically determinate girder with force loading, ending forces, diagram of internal forces and reactions.
4. Solution of continuous girder with force loading using general deflection method.
5. Solution of more complicated statically indeterminate frames using general deflection method.
6. Completion of solution of more complicated frames – equation system, ending forces, diagram of internal forces and reactions. Control test 1.
7. Solution of girders with forces and deflection loading.
8. Complexion solution of statically indeterminate frame using deflection method.
9. Completion of solution of complexion frame – equation system, ended forces, diagram of internal forces and reactions. Control test 2.
10. Truss system solved by general deflection method.
11. Completion of solution of truss system. Correction test. Credits.
12. RFEM-SCIA: Introduction to environment of system, input of new project, units, materials and cross-sections. Input and calculation of continuous girder including cantilever. Loading forms and its combinations.
13. RFEM-SCIA: planar frame – chessboard loads, temperature loads and shift of supports, evaluation of results.