Elasticity and Plasticity
Academic Year 2023/24
BDA002 course is part of 4 study plans
BPC-SI / VS Winter Semester 2nd year
BPC-MI Winter Semester 2nd year
BKC-SI Winter Semester 2nd year
BPA-SI Winter Semester 2nd year
Analysis of a straight bar – basic assumptions. The interaction between the internal force components and the stress components, and between the internal force components and the external load. Basic cases of the loads of a bar. Simple tension and compression – the stress, the strain, the deflection. The influence of the temperature and the initial stresses. Simple shearing load. Simple bending load –calculation of the normal (axial) stresses. Design of the bent beams. The deflection of the bent beams. Differential equation of the deformation line. Method of initial parameters a Mohr’s method. Calculation of the tangent stresses – massive and thin-walled cross-sections. The consideration of the shear stress in the bent beam. The centre of the shear. Pure torsion and warping torsion. Free warping – massive circular and non-circular cross-section. Thin-walled closed and opened cross-section.
Composed load cases of the bar. Spatial and biaxial bending. Tension (Compression) and bending in a plane. Eccentric torsion and compression. The core of the section. Design of the beams in the case of the composed (complex) load.
The stability and the bucking strength of the compressed bars. Euler’s solution. The critical force and the critical stress. The strength approach to stability. A bar loaded by a bending and buckling load. The check of the buckling bars.
The theory of the material strength and failure. The stress and strain state in a point of the body. The principal stress at the plane stress problem.
2. Simple tension – stress and strain state. More general cases of the tension (compression).
3. Statically indeterminate cases. The influence of the initial stress and the temperature field.
4. Simple shear, the connections strained by shearing.
5. Simple bending. Normal stresses produced by bending. Design and check of bent girders.
6. The differential equation of the deformation line. The integration of the differential thrust equation. The method of initial parameters, Mohr’s method.
7. Shearing stresses in a bent beam. The centre of the shear. Shearing stress in the thin-walled girders. The effect of the shear on the deflection of the beam.
8. Free torsion of a massive and thin-walled cross-section beams(opened and closed).
9. Complex cases of the load of the beam. Spatial and biaxial bending. Tension (compression) and uniaxial bending.
10. Eccentric tension and compression. The calculation of the position of the neutral axis, the core of the section. Design of the girders in a case of the complex load.
11. Buckling strengths and the stability of the compressed bars. Euler’s solution. Critical force and critical stress. The influence of the boundary conditions.
12. The strength approach to stability. A bar loaded by a bending and buckling load. The check of the buckling bars.
13. The stress and strain state in a point of the body. The principal stress at the plane stress problem.
Language of instruction
Forms and criteria of assessment
Specification of controlled instruction, the form of instruction, and the form of compensation of the absences
Offered to foreign students
Course on BUT site
13 weeks, 2 hours/week, elective
13 weeks, 2 hours/week, compulsory