Physics of materials
Academic Year 2023/24
DB64 course is part of 2 study plans
D-P-C-SI (N) / FMI Summer Semester 1st year
D-K-C-SI (N) / FMI Summer Semester 1st year
2. Soft matters, liquid crystals, polymers, complex fluids, gels, foams, emulsions.
3. Mechanical properties: stress / strain, deformation of solids, elasticity, plasticity, fluidity, viscosity.
4. Viscosity measurement, rheology, cohesive forces, surface tension and capillarity.
5. Thermal properties: heat capacity, specific heat, molar heat.
6. Thermal expansion, heat transfer, heat conduction, thermal conductivity.
7. Phonons, Debye theory, heat convection, radiation.
8. Temperature measurements: Seebeck effect, Peltier effect, Thomson effect, thermopower, thermocouples, thermistors.
9. Resistance temperature detectors (RTD), pyrometers, infrared thermometers, Langmuir probes, other thermometers.
10. Phase transition: phase, Gibbs' phase rule, phase diagram, solid, liquid and gaseous states of matter.
11. Latent heat, real gases, condensation, water vapour, moisture of materials, humidity.
12. Electrical properties of materials: electrical properties of gases, electrical properties of fluids (electrolytes), Faradays’ electrolytic laws.
13. Band theory of solids, electrical conductivity of solids.
Language of instruction
Forms and criteria of assessment
Specification of controlled instruction, the form of instruction, and the form of compensation of the absences
Offered to foreign students
Course on BUT site
13 weeks, 3 hours/week, elective