Hydro Power Utilization
Academic Year 2023/24
BRB009 course is part of 1 study plan
BPC-SI / V Summer Semester 4th year
Newly built hydro power plants , reconstruction of existing hydro power plants.
Turbines for hydro power plants – types, products information.
Economic conditions for the hydro power plants construction and operation, capital cost repayment period.
Study, conceptual solution of hydro power plants constructional components. Hydrotechnical and hydroenergetical calculations.
2. Natural, artificial, primary and secondary sources of waterpower. Basic types of hydropower structures and their components. Structure of energy plants in Czech republic. Development of energetics in Czech republic.
3. Hydro power plants division. Hydro power cascades. Efficiency of of water source.
4. Work and function of water power plant in electric network – loading diagram.
5. Hydro-energetic solution of the run-off river hydro power plant.
6. Classification and typed of water turbines. Kaplan, Francise and Pelton turbines.
7. Spiral casing of water turbines. Suction pipes of water turbines. Suction head. Cavitation.
8. Intake structures of pressureless and pressure hydropower structures. Rules of design and types of intake structures. Solution of foreground of intakes, skimmer walls. Pipe lines of hydro power plants. Design of profiles of water power canals and pressure pipes.
9. Direct and indirect hydraulic shock. Compensating chambers, their function and types.
10. Constructional part of hydro power plant. Buildings of hydro power plant - types of engine room according to construction and placement. Complete spatial solution. Substructure of engine room – function, basic types of engine set supporting systems. Upper part of the engine room – function, construction types.
11. Excursion in hydraulic laboratory of Faculty of Mechanical Engineering Brno University of Technology is realized.
Language of instruction
Forms and criteria of assessment
Specification of controlled instruction, the form of instruction, and the form of compensation of the absences
Offered to foreign students
Course on BUT site
13 weeks, 2 hours/week, elective
13 weeks, 3 hours/week, compulsory