Building physics 2
Academic Year 2022/23
BHA030 course is part of 1 study plan
BPC-EVB Summer Semester 1st year
Course is focused on mastering of selected software for stationary and non-stationary heat conduction simulations in 2D and 3D temperature field.
Students will get acquainted with the basic range of building physics tasks during the course. The knowledge will be used in follow-up courses.
Students will get an overview of the basic issues of building physics modeling. Students will be able to:
- recognize and work with different software,
- solve basic problems in building physics in 2D and 3D
- assess stationary and non-stationary processes,
- determine the suitability of specific modeling methods for different tasks,
- perform and evaluate computer simulatioons.
Be able to work with software for thermal engineering calculations.
The subject only has exercises, so the syllabus is dealt with in the exercise section.
Fundamental knowledge of building design, building physics, building technical systems, mathematics and physics.
Knowledge of mathematics and physics, work with CAD systems and with PC, basics of technical equipment of buildings.
Language of instruction
Forms and criteria of assessment
Specification of controlled instruction, the form of instruction, and the form of compensation of the absences
Extent and forms are specified by guarantor’s regulation updated for every academic year.
Offered to foreign students
Not to offer
Course on BUT site
13 weeks, 2 hours/week, compulsory
1-2. Stationary 3D heat transfer: Introduction os suitable software, calculation and evaluation methods.
3. Stationary 3D heat transfer: Creation of a model for solving an example problem in 3D.
4. Stationary 3D heat transfer: Mesh generation, boundary conditions, calculation and evaluation of a example problem in 3D. Comparison with 2D solution.
5. Stationary 3D heat transfer: 3D modelling and calculations of point thermal bridge.
6. Stationary 3D heat transfer: 3D modelling and calculations of linear thermal bridge.
7. Non-stationary 3D heat transfer: Introduction os suitable software, calculation and evaluation methods.
8. Non-stationary 3D heat transfer: Creation of a model for solving an example problem in 3D (influence of non-stationary processes on indoor surface temperature).
9-10. Non-stationary behavior of building structures: Assessment of maximum temperature and maximum temperature drop in a critical room, fulfillment of requirements, different variants of solving.
11. Non-stationary behavior of building structures: Assessment of air flow in a ventilated air gap and in a cold flat roof.
12-13. Non-stationary behavior of structures: influence of air flow and moisture on building structures, moisture balance.