Acoustics and Daylighting
Academic Year 2023/24
BH057 course is part of 2 study plans
B-K-C-SI (N) / S Summer Semester 4th year
B-P-C-SI (N) / S Summer Semester 4th year
The course presents the fundamentals in room acoustics and daylighting in buildings. Knowledge of this subject will be practically used for the following study - in seminars, projects, master degree projects.
Methods for the evaluation of visual comfort in buildings, daylighting and insolation of buildings.
Reports of building acoustics and daylighting and insolation tasks.
Tasks from reports will be applicable in study projects.
1. Sound waves, sound field. Acoustics and physiology, basic notions, sound levels and loudness.
2. Sound measurement, frequency band, frequency band analysis, noise report, hygienic limits.
3. Urban acoustics, noise attenuation.
4. Room acoustics, diffuse sound field, sound field.
5. Absorptive constructions, membranes and oscillating plates, Helmholtz resonators.
6. Sound insulation, rating of air-born and structure-born sound insulation.
7. Air-born sound insulation, Watter’s method.
8. Impact sound insulation of building constructions.
Daylighting and insolation of buildings:
9. Solar radiation, insolation, requirements for insolation.
10. Light and photometry. Methods of evaluation of daylighting in buildings, Daniljuk’s nomograms.
11. Waldram’s diagram, BRS nomograms, average daylight factor.
12. Daylight simulation software.
13. Summary, importance of acoustics, daylighting and insolation for building design.
Language of instruction
Forms and criteria of assessment
Specification of controlled instruction, the form of instruction, and the form of compensation of the absences
Offered to foreign students
Course on BUT site
13 weeks, 2 hours/week, elective
13 weeks, 2 hours/week, compulsory