Acoustics and Daylighting
BH057 course is part of 3 study plans
Bc. full-t. program nB > S compulsory-elective Summer Semester 4th year 4 credits
Bc. combi. program nBK > S compulsory-elective Summer Semester 4th year 4 credits
Bc. full-t. program nBA > S compulsory-elective Summer Semester 4th year 4 credits
The course presents the fundamentals in room acoustics and daylighting in buildings. Knowledge of this subject will be practically used for the following study - in seminars, projects, master degree projects.
The subject is focused on introduction into room avoustics and methods of evaluation of daylighting and insolation in buildings.
Fundamentals in building constructions, fundamentals in physics, Acoustics and Optics.
It is not required to study the subject together wit other subjects. Nevertheless the subject topic deals with subject of physics and building construction design.
Planned educational activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations.
Forms and criteria of assessment
Information for the successful completion of the subject: Attendance, semestral work, completed and corrected protocols, test, oral examination.
Fundamentals in room acoustics, determination of air-borne and impact sound insulation index for building constructions, design of rooms and their interiors with respect to reverberation time, determination of requirements for indoor acoustic comfort and design of building protection against exterior noise.
Methods for the evaluation of visual comfort in buildings, daylighting and insolation of buildings.
Specification of controlled instruction, the form of instruction, and the form of compensation of the absences
Vymezení kontrolované výuky a způsob jejího provádění stanoví každoročně aktualizovaná vyhláška garanta předmětu.
2 hours/week, 13 weeks, elective
Syllabus of lectures
1. Sound waves, sound field. Acoustics and physiology, basic notions, sound levels and loudness.
2. Sound measurement, frequency band, frequency band analysis, noise report, hygienic limits.
3. Urban acoustics, noise attenuation.
4. Room acoustics, diffuse sound field, sound field.
5. Absorptive constructions, membranes and oscillating plates, Helmholtz resonators.
6. Sound insulation, rating of air-born and structure-born sound insulation.
7. Air-born sound insulation, Watter’s method.
8. Impact sound insulation of building constructions.
9. Solar radiation, insolation, requirements for insolation.
10. Light and photometry. Methods of evaluation of daylighting in buildings, Daniljuk’s nomograms.
11. Waldram’s diagram, BRS nomograms, average daylight factor.
12. Daylight simulation software.
13. Summary, importance of acoustics, daylighting and insolation for building design.
2 hours/week, 13 weeks, compulsory
Syllabus of practice
1. Introduction, sound waves, octave bands, frequences.
2. Sound pressure, power and intensity levels.
3. Equivalent noise level, noise histogram.
4. Noise reduction due to distance, green bushes and walls.
5. Noise reduction due to wide barrier.
6. Reverberation time of a room. Recommendations for the room finishings because of the reverberation time reduction.
7. Air-borne sound insulation of a building construction.
8. Sound reduction index of a simple wall determined according to the Watter’s method.
9. Impact-sound insulation of a building construction.
10. Assessment of a building insolation, shading diagram.
11. Evaluation of a room daylighting with Daniljuk’s nomograms.
12. Daylight simulation in software WDLS.
13. Preliminary report of noise, insolation and daylight conditions in a selected building.