Fire Safety of Buildings
BH011 course is part of 3 study plans
Bc. full-t. program nB > S compulsory Winter Semester 4th year 5 credits
Bc. combi. program nBK > S compulsory Winter Semester 4th year 5 credits
Bc. full-t. program nBA > S compulsory Winter Semester 4th year 5 credits
The conception of this subject enables a basic overview through the fire safety of industrial and non-industrial objects including specific designs of residential, medical and agricultural buildings and assembly halls and areas. The main requirements of the design of buildings with respect to the fire safety are: fire protective properties of building materials, determination of fire characteristics, methods of the fire risk determination considering the demands on building constructions, ways of improvement of fire protective characteristics of building materials and structures, solution and design of escape routes, determination of areas with fire risk, fire control equipment. This basic information abou fire protective requirements is fundamental for the building design process. The technical report of the fire safety design of buildings which is the part of the documentation could be completed. The acquired knowledge is aplicated during the completion of a project documentation in the subject Specialized project.
Juridical regulations and fire protective requirements.
Examination of a proposal and design of manufactural and non-manufactural buildings.
Determination of needs of building structures.
Design of escape routes.
Determination of fire unsafe space.
Equipments for fire-fighting action.
Knowledge of urban, architectonic-dispositional, material and constructional design of buildings, especially civil, housing and industrial.
Theory of building constructions-load bearing construction systems, vertical and horizontal bearing constructions, external constructions, staircase, roofing of buildings(bearing constructions of roofs and roof covers), non-bearing constructions, openning fills, floors and surface finishes.
Building materials-types of building materials, usage of materials in building constructions, specific material properties.
Vertical supporting systems, overhanging and hanging structure of building.
Planned educational activities and teaching methods
Teaching methods depend on the type of course unit as specified in the article 7 of BUT Rules for Studies and Examinations.
The acquired knowledge is aplicated during the completion of a project documentation.
Forms and criteria of assessment
Attendance to practice of the subject, the successful completion of two tests and submission of graphics work.
Juridical regulations and fire protective requirements; main thesis of fire safety of a buildings. Demand of fire resistance on manufactural and non-manufactural buildings, including specific requirements for apartment houses, medical, agricultural and stock buildings, buildings designed for congress of people and for changes of buildings.
Ability of assembly of firesafe design of building-examination of a proposal and design of manufactural and non-manufactural buildings including: the procedure of assignment fire and economical risk;determination of needs of building structures;process of improving properties of constructions and materials; design of escape routes; determination of fire unsafe space; equipments for fire-fighting action.
Specification of controlled instruction, the form of instruction, and the form of compensation of the absences
Vymezení kontrolované výuky a způsob jejího provádění stanoví každoročně aktualizovaná vyhláška garanta předmětu.
2 hours/week, 13 weeks, elective
Syllabus of lectures
1. Introduction, information about the subject. Development of fire protective requirements. Technical standards for fire protection of buildings. The basic terminology. Fire protection theory.
2. Methods of the design and assessment of fire protective arrangements in buildings. Fire risk determination according to the standard ČSN 73 0802. Average and concentrated fire load. Design value of fire load.
3. Fire compartments and areas without fire risk. Fire safety grade. Fire dividing constructions. Fire protective areas.
4. Demands on the fire resistance of building structures. Degree of fire protection characteristics of building constructions and materials (possibilities of improvement of fire resistance)
5. Escape routes – types, number, dimensions, technical solution. Auxiliary escape routes. Building habitation.
6. Fire protective distances. Assessment according to the intensity of thermal flux and possible impact of burning parts on the building.
7. Technical design. Fire control devices. Fire water supply. Fire protection of residential buildings. Building conversion.
8. Fire protective requirements for medical centers and assembly halls.
9. Fire resistance of industrial buildings and objects.
10. Fire risk according to the guideline ČSN 73 0804 - Simplified method.
11. Fire risk according to the guideline ČSN 73 0804 - Calculation method. Economic risk.
12. Escape routes and fire protective distances in industrial buildings and objects. Garages. Fire protection in warehouses and spaces for storage.
13. Lecture of the expert from the specialized firm.
2 hours/week, 13 weeks, compulsory
Syllabus of practice
1.Methods of the design and assessment of fire protective arrangements in buildings.
2.Fire compartments and areas without fire risk. Fire safety grade.
3.Demands on the fire resistance of building structures.
4.Escape routes. Fire protective distances.
5.Fire control devices.
6.Fire water supply.