Fire Safety of Buildings
Academic Year 2023/24
BH011 course is part of 2 study plans
B-K-C-SI (N) / S Winter Semester 4th year
B-P-C-SI (N) / S Winter Semester 4th year
Ability of assembly of firesafe design of building-examination of a proposal and design of manufactural and non-manufactural buildings including: the procedure of assignment fire and economical risk;determination of needs of building structures;process of improving properties of constructions and materials; design of escape routes; determination of fire unsafe space; equipments for fire-fighting action.
2. Methods of the design and assessment of fire protective arrangements in buildings. Fire risk determination according to the standard ČSN 73 0802. Average and concentrated fire load. Design value of fire load.
3. Fire compartments and areas without fire risk. Fire safety grade. Fire dividing constructions. Fire protective areas.
4. Demands on the fire resistance of building structures. Degree of fire protection characteristics of building constructions and materials (possibilities of improvement of fire resistance)
5. Escape routes – types, number, dimensions, technical solution. Auxiliary escape routes. Building habitation.
6. Fire protective distances. Assessment according to the intensity of thermal flux and possible impact of burning parts on the building.
7. Technical design. Fire control devices. Fire water supply. Fire protection of residential buildings. Building conversion.
8. Fire protective requirements for medical centers and assembly halls.
9. Fire resistance of industrial buildings and objects.
10. Fire risk according to the guideline ČSN 73 0804 - Simplified method.
11. Fire risk according to the guideline ČSN 73 0804 - Calculation method. Economic risk.
12. Escape routes and fire protective distances in industrial buildings and objects. Garages. Fire protection in warehouses and spaces for storage.
13. Lecture of the expert from the specialized firm.
Theory of building constructions-load bearing construction systems, vertical and horizontal bearing constructions, external constructions, staircase, roofing of buildings(bearing constructions of roofs and roof covers), non-bearing constructions, openning fills, floors and surface finishes.
Building materials-types of building materials, usage of materials in building constructions, specific material properties.
Language of instruction
Forms and criteria of assessment
Specification of controlled instruction, the form of instruction, and the form of compensation of the absences
Offered to foreign students
Course on BUT site
13 weeks, 2 hours/week, elective
13 weeks, 2 hours/week, compulsory